Bowles Field has been in continuous use since 1929, when then-Blountstown High coach C. B. Bowles and his players cleared by hand a pine-and-hardwood swamp to make way for an athletic playing field. Using shovels, hoes, axes, crosscut saws, mules -- plus a few sticks of dynamite -- they transformed the site in time for the 1929 football season. After coaching at Blountstown from 1928-1930, Bowles moved to Green Cove Springs, where he enjoyed a long, distinguished career as a coach, teacher and school administrator. There, the Clay High School stadium also is named for him (Bowles Stadium), which distinguishes him as having two Florida high school football fields bearing his name.
In 2012 the name of the Blountstown facility was changed to Ted Cooper Stadium at Bowles Field, honoring the late Ted Cooper, who coached at Blountstown from 1953 to 1961 -- when the school enjoyed its first real success as a football program with a winning tradition.
(Submitted by Mr. Park Trammell)
Upcoming Games at Ted Cooper Stadium at Bowles Field (8)